Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Tree by any Other Name


Peyton knows very well what a snowman is. Anytime she sees one, or even just thinks about one, she shouts "S0-man!" One day, I picked her up from her Mother's Day Out school and she excitely ran down the hall shouting, "Mommy, s0-man! Mommy, so-man!" The director even heard Peyton from her office, came out and said maybe they should get some snowmen decorations for the hall to add to the Christmas trees and various lights we had just passed. I thought Peyton had snowmen on her mind, since there weren't any around that I could see. Maybe, I thought, they talked about them during school and she was just delightedly sharing her day with me. I was delighted.


Shortly after that, our tree at home was decorated. I began to suspect something was a little "off" when she just kept saying "so-man." Yes, we have some little cuddly ones around the house for her to...cuddle. But what was this obsession with telling us about them, even when they weren't around?


Sitting in front of our newly decorated tree, I asked her, "Peyton, where is the Christmas tree?" And she pointed to the Christmas tree. What a good girl.


Just to reinforce the name, I pointed to the tree and quizzed her again, "What is that, Peyton?" She replied, "A so-man!"


So all this time, she had been calling every snowman a "so-man" and every Christmas tree, like the one we passed in her school's hallway, a "so-man." She apparently thinks a Christmas tree has two names.


In order to really confuse her, I took this picture of her holding a snowman and sitting in front of our beautifully decorated "So-man"!

No comments:

Post a Comment