So I don't even have any cute way to say it, but I finally like my dining room. It only took more than four years and four rounds of paint to get the wall color just right. And then my tiny little makeover took flight. The walls have gone from ecru to the most unfortunate pumpkin color you have ever seen, to the most unfortunate fleshy color you have ever seen, to now--the most serene bay blue color I have ever picked or seen. What can I say...I'm a girl who likes color! (That one's for you, Kristin.) The new paint color is actually called Oyster Bay. How could I go wrong with that?
For those of you interested in this sort of thing (it's my favorite thing!), I will tell you about my little dining room makeover.
So I went with it. Here is the before (ick!):
![]() | |
| You can see where I tested four neutral colors around the mirror before turning a corner and going with blue. |
Here is the after (ah...):
| Yes, that is the children's art easel in the back corner. As much as I would like something more my taste there, we use this room mostly for arts and craft projects. So, for now, the easel stays. |
The first thing that makes a huge difference in the room is the hutch. That is the same hutch, just made over. It was like a dark hole in the room previously, so I painted it to match the mirrors flanking it. That first step, alone, made a huge difference in the room. I painted the bead-board in the back of the hutch 'Fireweed' red to tie in the the red pie safe (pictured below) in the room and the red shag rug in the adjacent living room. I also changed the knobs.

Other than that huge change, I made a few other minor changes. I got new drapes and moved the rod up higher. I think I still need to get a heavier looking rod, though. Mom, I may or may not have time to iron the drapes before you come, so it's best if you prepare yourself. :) I also took a trip to one of my favorite stores with the girls for a few accessories to tie in all the colors. This is my favorite new accessory, a table runner from Pier 1. Peyton picked out the red lantern, and I kind of think it's perfect.
Here's another favorite accessory, that is not new. That painting of the creek finally found a good home. I moved it from a dark spot in the hall and it's just right in here, until I commission the artist to paint a hummingbird scene for this spot. This is one of my Mom's paintings, of course! She's pretty much the real deal, in case you didn't know.
| Now you can see more of the red going on in the room. |
I have a few things I still want to do so I can call this room complete (for now, hehe). I would like to change the chair seat fabric, but after four trips to fabric stores I still can't make a decision. And if there's one thing I've learned from trying to beautify my home is that I really should never settle for something thinking that something is better than nothing. That is not true. I've learned the hard way, and I always end up trying to replace the thing settled for almost immediately. It's best to wait until I'm sure or I find what I love.
The other little beauty trick I want to do is something I need your help on, friends. I have started using this pie safe (below) in the room as a arts and crafts cabinet for the girls since we use the table so much for that sort of thing. I want to cover the glass with something so I don't have to keep it cute and orderly inside. I have thought about a few ideas: painting the glass, using a window cling, or somehow affixing fabric to the inside of the door. What do you think? Any suggestions?
I believe that's a wrap. Hope you're weren't bored too much (Dad). Anyway, I'm just so happy I don't cringe every time I walk through the dining room now. Good night everybody....oh and let me know what you think about that pie safe, please!

oh, rebecca! this makes me so happy. love the new color and how it makes your rug say hello. and the room does feel lighter with the painted hutch.
ReplyDeleteas for the pie safe, what about scrapbook paper? i'm thinking it would be easier to put on and take off (if you ever decide) than fabric, because you could most likely just tape it to the inside.
love, love, love everything you did in this room!
SO LOVELY! the wall color and pie safe are my absolute faves. Brilliant move on the curtains too.
ReplyDeletexoxo,k
I LOOOOOOOOOVE it! And the knobs are perfect, as is Peyton's lantern. So cute. As for the pie safe glass, I was thinking paper, too (good call, Ellen). Another option is to use etching creme. You paint it on and wash it off to leave a slightly etched finish. It would be permanent, but the cool thing is you can use stickers, contact paper, etc. to work in a design. I like to use alphabet letter stickers to write a word on the glass (so then the word is clear and its etched all around it). And I feel your pain re: the fabric search. We need more fabric stores in town. Or maybe we need to take a trip to Sir's? Have you ever been there?
ReplyDeleteUm, WL you're holding out on me. Sirs? The Fabric House off Harding Place is nice, but just so many choices.
ReplyDeleteI love it! Amazing transformation. And I totally agree... that new paint color with the painted hutch totally made the room. Now I just need to come back and see it in person. :) Miss you.
ReplyDeleteVery well done! The after photo is so much brighter, it even makes the rug seem new & more noticeable. Yay for victory!
ReplyDeleteRe the pie safe, I vote old photographs or retro postcards inside the glass. Not sure how big the openings are, but Holga prints might work or you could crop other photos & have them printed as 5x5's. You can borrow my Holga if you want to give it a whirl.