Saturday, May 23, 2009

Family of Four


The appointed time finally arrived! We became a family of four on May the 4th at nearly 4 o'clock in the afternoon. We named our beautiful bundle of joy Harper Julianne. (Julianne is after my grandmother, Julia.) Blake is pretty sure that at least one of Harper's birthday invitations will say "May the 4th be with you". Maybe we'll have all the girls who come to this birthday party wear Honey Buns on their ears and dress as Princess Leia. Gold bikinis will not be allowed, however. We've given this a lot of thought.

Anyway, we were very happy that our new little girl waited until 'Induction Day' (or as some mom's have called it, 'Eviction Day') so Mom and Dad could be here for Peyton as planned. We also could adequately pour certain details into Peyton's head to prepare her, such as "mommy go to the hospital", "baby sister comes tomorrow" and "mommy push that baby out". Peyton added her own gestures to that last one. She stepped one foot forward and pushed both arms out straight, hands flexed as if pushing a heavy door closed, and said "Mommy PUSH that baby out".

Peyton has been a wonderful big sister these first three weeks. Her face lights up when Harper comes in the room. Peyton also thinks of Harper when she's not around and will ask, "Where is baby sister?" Peyton really likes it when Harper's eyes are open. She says, "She's awake. Baby sister's awake." Peyton has caught on to the idea of nicknames and calls her sister, "Hops". (She's trying to say Harps.)
Harper is a very healthy baby. At her two week doctor check up, she had gained almost a whole pound and weighed 9 lbs. 2 oz. She was 8 lbs. 4 oz. when we left the hospital. Her doctor was amazed at how perfectly she is doing. What a different experience with this child! This one likes to eat and likes to sleep. Amazing! I'm not having dizzy spells due to sleep deprivation, at least not yet. As far as how Harper looks, we think she looks different than Peyton. I think this time my genes won! She already looks very different from this photo we had taken of her at the hospital.

After three weeks of parents being in town to help out, this is my first week on my own. I attempted to go to the mall yesterday with a friend. I felt very uncoordinated with the two of them. I am also pretty much terrified to go back to the mall with both of them any time soon, because it's so difficult to keep my eyes on Peyton while attending to a crying baby in a bulky carrier. I also chickened out of a zoo outing this week, because I wasn't sure I was comfortable entertaining Peyton for 20 minutes while nursing the baby . I'm sure I'll get the hang of going places. I'm determined to. I keep reminding myself to give myself a break. After all, it's only the third week.
I'm still trying to master the art of the SLING. This is so I can have my hands free for making play-doh shapes or sipping tea from plastic cups with Princess Bear and Peyton. Yesterday, we had plastic pretzels with seltzer water in a funny blue plastic bottle. I also need my hands for pusing Peyton in the swing and playing in the sand pit in the back yard, which leads me to my next parenting puzzle: How to keep mosquitos, and other insects, off the newborn while playing with Peyton outside. Feel free to pass along any tips you may have for entertaining a two-year-old while caring for a newborn!
Anyway, as you can see I am waist-deep in "discomfort zones" and learning experiences. Thankfully, we are not alone. Many of our friends are having babies too! I sent out a Snapfish photo album yesterday. Hope you got it!


No comments:

Post a Comment