Thursday, June 18, 2009

Blessed Chaos

This is my first quiet moment in over a week, or at least the first that I can remember. Both girls are currently asleep. I am pretty much in constant motion around here, so this quiet time is indeed a treasure. You, my few blog fans, must be special as I am sharing my treasure of silence with you instead of my pillow or the pile of laundry. I've adopted a new motto, or battle cry you might even say, as a coping mechanism for the blessed chaos in my life: Clean enough is clean, and good enough is good. As long as it isn't poop or spit up, I am learning to live with a little dirt (please don't cry Aunt Margaret!) in order to have play time with Peyton or quiet time for myself. The first motto I adopted when I became a mother, that I still repeat to myself at least three times a day, encourages me when I feel a bit unsettled by my newest adopted "enough is enough" motto. And that original, hallowed line is: It won't always be this way. That one gets me through a lot. So Margaret, be encouraged along with me. I will one day mop the floor again.

But first, a story to tell...

Yesterday, I was busy busying myself in the kitchen trying to make a special dinner for Blake for Father's Day. While on the phone wishing my own father a happy day, Harper was steadily working up into a scream and Peyton was doing who knows what as she flitted around the house. While still on the phone, I picked Harper up from her bouncy chair and put her on the changing table to calm her down. She likes looking at the curtains behind it. Anyway, I noticed she had had a blow out in her diaper, hence the screaming. Gotta go, Dad. Call ya later. Commence with changing the blow out. Peyton was still flitting, by the way.

While cleaning Harper up (poop I clean), Peyton had made her way into the kitchen and I heard her saying, "What's thaaaaaaaat? What's thaaaaaaaat? what's THAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" I came into the kitchen to find Peyton squatting by the bouncy chair pointing at a big glob of green poop, thankfully still untouched by her flitting fingers, but unfortunately overlooked by me when I picked up the baby. Oh blessed chaos! Father's Day dinner would have to wait a bit longer. In this house, exposed poop always "butts in" and takes priority over any other task at hand!

Here's a picture of me enjoying some blessed chaos from another day and repeating to myself, "it won't always be this way!" That's me in the hooded towel. Peyton insisted.



Side Note:
Did you know that some dogs can eat chocolate, play dough, raisans and crayons off the floor....and live? It's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment