Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Sunny Life: Discovery

I fear that summer is on the down swing. Oh no! Of course, I say this on a day that is actually 102 degrees, at least. Yesterday, newly committed to not waist any sunshine, I had the good idea to get outside with the girls early before it got hot. Lo! And behold! We played in the backyard from 8:30 to 11:30! Boy, I was a proud mama, proud of myself that is. 'Cuz I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I ain't your typical outdoorsy type. Right, Mom? But yesterday was a dream. It was quality. It was adventure. It was fun. It was fulfilling. It was sweaty. To play outside for three hours (and have fun) really came down to me accepting and getting over two things: 1) I was going to sweat (and not really ever stop) and 2) get very dirty and stinky.

Well. Somewhere between the sweat, the dirt and the stench I made two huge (to me) discoveries.

Discovery #1: The entire rest of the day went so wonderfully well after having our early outdoors play time. I think this happened for two reasons. First, the girls had so much undivided, quality time with me in the morning that they weren't needy or whiny for the rest of the day. And second, they got so much fresh air and exercise that they were just worn out. They napped well, played well together in the afternoon, and ate well. Miracle!

Discovery #2: Even though I spent the first half of the day giving the girls undivided, quality attention, I still got a normal days worth of housework done. I didn't have to oscillate between the girls and the chores all morning, getting myself all stressed out. I just took better advantage of their naps this time, feeling refreshed after playing like a child and getting dirty and stinky. By the end of the day, I was not exhausted and felt more accomplished and perhaps as satisfied with my day and they felt.

She got chalk all over the back of her clothes.

Peyton learned how to draw a "stick man."

No comments:

Post a Comment