Before I had children, I pretty much assumed if I ever had a girl I would want her to try dancing. Dancing was my childhood thing. Other kids rode their bikes or played outside. I danced. Starting at age 3, I was in tap class until I was fifteen. Somewhere along the way, I tried jazz and gymnastics for a year or two. I think I was in ballet as early as you can start. As I got a little older, I could pretty much be found in the ballet studio almost every night of the week, at least it felt that way (right Mom?). I think I stayed in tap because I had always done it, and I enjoyed the friendships maybe and the lightness of it in contrast to all the formal ballet in my life.
Still, my true love was ballet, and as far as fine arts go it still is; cello being a close second, though I never played that. As an early twenty-something, my future husband even went so lovingly far as to gift me six adult classes so I could maybe get a tiny fix. I was never strong enough to make a real go of it, nor did I want to. Around ninth grade, I decided to stop dancing altogether and try out hobbies I hadn't had much time for before, such as student government, Kiwanis club, violin, track, high school boys soccer assistant (for obvious reasons, eh?) and other things I won't admit (that absolutely do not rhyme with smadgeants).
Any.way.
The morale of the story is, if this girl ever had daughters, we would also have to be spotted in the dance studio often, at least long enough for this mama to feel she had passed on an appreciation of this fine art and some level of poise to her daughters. Well. It has begun...
Starting last Saturday and on every Saturday for the next three months, Peyton will become more acquainted with what might actually have been my first love. Dance.
It's call a "First Dance Class" for 3-4 year olds, and she goes every Saturday for 30 minutes.
Even her bestie, Etta, is there with open arms.
I'm a proud mama. Thanks Amanda for texting me at 11:30 the night before to let me know about it.
I think she's a natural.



ohmygoodness she looks 12 doing all those smooth moves. i love it.
ReplyDeleteWhat, that isn't enough notice for you? Heh. We don't exactly plan ahead these days.
ReplyDeleteThis is going to be so much fun. I can't wait to see how we find a way to spy on them from outside while we "run errands" during class.