Friday, August 19, 2011

A pretty enthusiastic charismatic

I've been thinking about voices lately. In case you've never heard the off-beat rhythm of a four-year-old and a two-year-old singing in unison simultaneously, please allow me to inform you: it is better than the real thing. Their voices crack, they sing sharp, they sing flat, they lose the melody sometimes. It is awesome. It is Heavenly to hear two little girl voices singing without inhibition or insecurity. May it be Itsy Bitsy Spider or the Doxology, I love it all.

One night, I was putting the girls to bed together in their room at my parents, and I was singing the Doxology (our bedtime song for them) for probably the tenth time (upon request only) in a row. I was tired and am sure I didn't sound all that great. I know babies don't care; they just like the sound of their mommas' voices (right?). But I've been wondering when my children would be old enough to recognize that I'm not that gifted in the voice department. Well, let's just say that I think Peyton is there. [sigh]...

My voice cracks. I can't sing that high at all. I miss notes all the time.  So that one night, Peyton said to me, "Mommy, your voice sounds weird....like you have to cough or something."

Thanks, Peyton. I'll stop now.

I don't mention to her how she sings out of tune sometimes. I still like it. It still makes me smile. But whatever. :-)

It made me think one time that if I enjoy it so much with all the natural inaccuracies of little girls' voice, then how much more does God love to hear his children sing too, young or old? I'm guessing the sound of us people singing simultaneously, sharp or flat, brings a smile to God's face, maybe a chuckle too? Just singing out, lovin' singing, lovin' what we're singing regardless of imperfection. Maybe we need beauty and perfection too much sometimes.

I recorded Peyton singing the Doxology yesterday. Tell me when it's over if it doesn't make you happy. You won't be able to resist smiling or maybe crying. Also, I don't have a fancy smart phone, so this video is that best I can do online.

Do you think some angels got a laugh out of the girl's enthusiasm?  I know we had a few. Maybe the girl got moved by the Spirit! Haha! I know I'll never be able to sing this song in church without laughing. I'm thinking that might be alright.

1 comment:

  1. "I'll have what she's having!" Heaven sees the purity here, and we get to glimpse the joy. Outstanding. Gotta go now . . . (gonna practice my jumping for Jesus).

    ReplyDelete