Dear loved ones,
There are a handful of little things I've wanted to share here from August, and I think they're holding me back from moving forward with September posts. So, I'm going to wrap up August nice and neat with photos and captions, photo album style.
But before we get to the pictures...a few thoughts to share...
Wouldn't you just love to know why I think August is January's fraternal twin, and also, why they are my least favorite months of the year. I know you're itching to know. They may be opposites temperature-wise, but that's about it. Both months come after a very hectic time--January after a busy holiday season and August after a busy summer season with trips and generally trying to keep the family content. Also, the weather is extreme, either way too hot or way too cold. Those two months for us are like wind-down months, quiet, unstructured, and mixed with perhaps a little too much indoor time. There is too much time off from school, no hobbies are going on, no Bible studies to attend and no TV programming to look forward to at the end of chaotic day. It's like there is just nothing to do.
Somehow, we did though. We did August. Five long weeks of no structure and no life programming feels about like five
months when you're trying to keep up with
an energetic two-year-old and entertain a creative four-year-old. I won't lie. It wasn't easy on this mom. We three girls were together a lot, all over each other, really. When it was over, I thought two things. First thought: "Thank the Lord!"
Just being honest.
The second thought was a surprise to me. You would think after such a challenging time during which personal space was obliterated that you would be feeling a little agitation toward those who smothered you for five weeks. On the contrary, I felt a new kind of closeness with the smother-ers, despite their relentless plots to invade my mental and physical space. A new bond I guess...not unlike what happens after you go through a difficult thing with someone. I thought: "We're tight, those girls and me. We go together like a baby blanket and Harper's thumb."
That being said, this is how we spent our five weeks of never-ending togetherness...
 |
| First week, we went to S.C. to meet my new nephew Deacon. |
 |
| We played "Car" under the kitchen table and bar stools. Harper insisted I get under there with her because it was raining in the kitchen. I'm sure glad she thinks of me sometimes. |
 |
| Peyton finally, after months of begging, got to have bubble gum as a reward for completing her job chart. Blake was a little disappointed she chose Chicklets. |
 |
| The girls started playing a new game together a lot called "Mommy Baby". Peyton plays the mommy and Harper plays the baby. This game strokes both of their egos beautifully, because Harper loves the constant attention to her demands, and Peyton likes being in charge. To avoid confusion about which mom she is talking to, however, Harper has started calling me her Tall Mama. Nice. |
 |
| Peyton has learned how to politely ask for play-alone time in her room. This is what she does. She assembles all her animals into various activities like picnics or families holding hands. |
 |
| I told them piling up fallen leaves is a fun new game. Hey, at least I gave them brooms. |
 |
| She liked to pile them up then dig through them for the prettiest leaf. |
 |
| I found a great deal on a Moon Sand kit at a consignment sale and the kids made great messes with it. It took us about three tries to figure out the best place to do this. |
 |
| She enjoyed mailing things to grandparents. |
|
 |
| I stared at Harper for three days straight while she learned to use a potty. She sat on towels and watched cartoons while I made sure the potty was always within arm's reach. |
 |
| They had a few nature lessons outside with Daddy, studying caterpillars and fireflies, and setting leaves on fire with a magnifying glass. |
 |
| She was fascinated with a caterpillar that was rolling around mad after she stepped on half of it. Oops. |
 |
| We bought a tacky foreclosure from Craigslist for $20. The back yard plastic invasion has begun. I'm perfectly fine with that. They're only young once, right. |
|
The End....
hey Tall Mama. Thanks for the recaps and pictures.
ReplyDeleteI love that you are "Tall Mama." That is awesome. Also, I really like your hair in that first picture. I haven't seen you since it was short, which means, obviously, that it is time for a visit!!! Loved reading the updates. Can't believe how big your girls are! Hope to see y'all soon!
ReplyDelete