Some people just aren't huggers. They either don't or they do the half-hug. Sometimes it's hard to know when you've reached the hugging point in a new relationship, and that's fair. That's when you see the half-hug stuff.
On the other hand, you may know some hug-for-lifers. They hug you like they're trying to leave a mark. And they kind-of do; the impression lasts. They might even get famous among their peer circles for their great hugs. That's one's for you Dara Lynn.
Anyway, I think hugs of either style leave an impression. A well-timed hug can be the best medicine, too. As a friend, as a parent, as a spouse, you just have to know when to shut up and hug.
We're a hugging family. The morning's just not right until everyone has hugged everyone. We also do lots of family group hugs. I'm really not excited about sounding so cheesy, but it's true. And I suspect that hugs are starting to matter to our kids too.
For instance...
Once upon a normal Tuesday or Thursday a couple weeks ago, I went to Peyton's pre-school classroom to pick her up. She looked happy as usual to see me. We hugged hello. Duh. Everything was normal. I went to her hook on the wall to gather her things. The next thing I knew, she was hugging the back of me, burying her face into my jacket. Awww, she must have really missed me today. I got her stuff and turned around to find her upset and crying. Um...what just happened? She was fine two minutes ago. I knelt down and she informed me, through tears, that her friend, A, wouldn't hug her good-bye. She said A doesn't like hugs but that she really wanted to hug her since they're friends.
I said something like, "Well it's okay. That doesn't mean she's not your friend. Some people just don't like to hug--"
"But Mommy {cry face in full force now} that's the best part of luu-uh-uuuuuv." More tears.
Oh boy.
The mama bear inside me let go of a low growl...inside though, just inside. Didn't wanna go scaring the other children and all. But then mama bear put a lid on the growl and grabbed the sad baby bear and hugged her - I love you style.
Peyton has talked, a lot, before and after this event, about how this one particular four-year-old doesn't like hugs. Her hugging style, or lack thereof, has left an impression, you might say, and Peyton can't let it go. Maybe hugging is my child's love language. Maybe she'll be the type to leave a mark on her friends. I don't know. She's definitely taught me on a few occasions when to shut up and just hug her...
...love-for-life style.
ok, ok, I get it, you want me to hug you more. just kidding but I will. Hugging wasn't as big in my house as it was yours. Ask my mom in law. Hope you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteThis makes me want to hug you! Obviously.
ReplyDelete