One the eve of Peyton's third birthday, my mind is swirling with visions of one certain fairy, everything green and sparkly with just the right amount of gold to represent pixie dust. Flowers - check. Butterflies - check. Cake - check. Fairy bower - almost. I'll probably keep myself awake until midnight again thinking about that bower and how to do it. I only have 25 yards of pink and white tulle to fashion into a cozy fairy flower home, you know. If you haven't thought this yet about me, you will now: I over-do things sometimes and wear myself out in the over-doing. Thank Heaven my dear husband helps me anyway. He also makes me go to bed, which I must do quickly, so I can be ready to keep up so much doing.
First a few reflections...
I had set out some decorations today while Peyton was at school. I'm saving some (the fairy bower) to put out Friday night after she goes to bed. But just when I thought this afternoon that I shouldn't have bothered trimming the green plastic tablecloth edges to look like Tink's skirt, my astute three-year-old noticed it. I didn't say a word about anything that was out today when she came home. She ran around pointing out everything: the gold swirls I drew on the table cloth, the "happy birthday" banner, the flowers with ribbons that were tucked away in a corner waiting for their full purpose.
Then she saw it. "Oh Mommy," she exclaimed, "The table looks like Tinker Bell's skirt." I was in the other room, but boy did my face beam when I heard that. Right then, it was okay with me that I bothered to take scissors to green plastic, and hunt down sparkly pink and green ribbon, and pixie stix, and 25 yards of tulle, and the right shade of gold paint, and self-stick gemstones, and everything else. I might be exhausted by Saturday, but Peyton will appreciate the tiniest detail. And I think, for a three-year-old, that's pretty special.
I wish I was going to be there to see these decorations. You are a top notch party thrower!!
ReplyDeletehooray! it sounds like the perfect party. hope you'll show pictures!
ReplyDelete